Saturday, March 04, 2006

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Jim Steinman Bonnie Tyler Columbia 1983
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
What a powerful image of an explosive relationship on a short fuse. You can almost hear the crashing crockery! I am convinced that metaphor is a key player in most successful poetry -- and there's plenty of metaphor and other figures throughout this wonderful song. The bridge, in particular, really grabs me:
Once upon a time I was falling in love but now I'm only falling apart. There's nothing I can do - a total eclipse of the heart Once upon a time there was light in my life but now there's only love in the dark. Nothing I can say - a total eclipse of the heart
I love the paired contrasting images drawn with similar words, a visual rhyme:
falling in love vs falling apart light in my life vs love in the dark

Bonnie Tyler's slightly husky voice lends just the right note of anxious desperation in a perfect rendition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home