Saturday, March 04, 2006

Killing Me Softly With His Song

Norman Gimbel, Charles Fox (BMI) Roberta Flack RCA 1973
Strumming my pain with his fingers, Singing my life with his words, Killing me softly with his song, Killing me softly with his song, Telling my whole life with his words, Killing me softly with his song.
This entire song is about the effect that I'm describing. The singer hears about a new songster who has a style, but is stunned by the profound connection of his words with her life, feeling as if "he found my letters and read each one out loud."

(Obviously, this was during the era when people wrote and sent actual letters to one another! -R. 2010)

The song was inspired by a poem by Lori Lieberman, Killing Me Softly with His Blues, which she wrote after seeing a then-unknown Don McLean perform the song "Empty Chairs" live. [Wikipedia]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home