Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Day Before You Came

Benny Andersson, Bjorn Ulvaeus (ASCAP) ABBA Epic 1983
And turning out the light I must have yawned and cuddled up for yet another night And rattling on the roof I must have heard the sound of rain The day before you came.

This ABBA song touches me deeply, though I'm not sure exactly why. It's about a girl recalling how her life was so very ordinary and predictable, even to the very day before she meets her true love, an event which has changed everything for her.

In the song she reflects on the tedious details of her humdrum routine on the day before he came, and her clueless innocence of how her life was about to change.

Oh yes, I'm sure my life was well within it's usual frame The day before you came.

2 Comments:

At December 19, 2008 8:21 PM, Blogger Nick said...

The song is dark and touching, because, as the video makes clear, there is in fact no lover arriving the next day to make things all better. Indeed, Bjorn has alluded that the "you" in The Day Before You Came is death: self inflicted. I'm sure you'll agree that the song enters a completely new dimension with that in mind.

 
At December 19, 2008 11:48 PM, Blogger Dav4is said...

Yikes!
Talk about changing everything!

I have never seen the video, and I'm glad of it. I'll stick with the simpler -- nicer -- interpretation, thank you.

If I can...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home